It’s essential to plan well before any big trip abroad - especially if you spend several months away from home. Sporting Opportunities is an active partner of the government’s ‘Know Before You Go’ campaign run by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The campaign aims to prepare people properly for overseas travel helping them to stay safe and healthy abroad.
Their suggestions to stay safe and healthy abroad is to take some simple precautions:
1) Check the foreign travel advice.
2) Take a look at their travel checklist.
3) Get comprehensive travel insurance and read the small print.
4) Research your destination - know the local laws and customs, even if you’re visiting friends and family.
5) Check the health risks before travelling.
6) Check your passport is valid and you have the necessary visas.
7) Make sure you take copies of important travel documents and store them online using a secure data storage site.
8) Tell someone where you’re going and leave emergency contact details with them.
9) Take enough money and have access to emergency funds.